Sunday, December 2, 2012

SOFIA Boutique Collaboration

Hello there~! Miss me? Right. Well, I've been away, very much away - my mind was, anyway, for the past weeks due to some Doctor Who intervention. I'll go into that some other time. I still have three seasons left before making a grand review of probably one of the most remarkable TV series ever made.

For the mean time, feast your eyes on these memory pops. Just last Friday, Pakilawaran Photography Club, our town's very own swarm of photographers and which I am a member of, got invited to do a sponsored photo shoot by Sofia Boutique owned by Dr. Grace Dang-Aoen in collaboration with KLiK Camera Club. All we have to do is shoot, to our hearts content, the models wearing pieces designed and styled by Dr. Dang-Aoen. 

When all else fails, shoot the behind the scenes.
This, I think, is by far, one of the biggest collaborations I did that leans toward the business/professional side of photography. Now, I only do photography as a hobby, but there are times when I think if I could do it professionally and this experience gave me a taste of what's like to be in that position. 

First of, I'm so relieved to be just one of the 30 or so photographers that day instead of being the one fumbling about what my models are going to wear, or if they could be available that day or other production stuff. I was used to taking care of everything in mu little make-shift shoots with friends as models, now I finally get to take the back seat and watch the pros do it. Dr. Grace was literally 'graceful' under pressure. But with a massive production of 4 models, each having 3-4 changes and managing 30 photographers in the most holiest of places of Pakil was just brilliantly executed. So I just had to commend her level of focus despite the chaos we photographers bring to the shoot.

Model: How's out Hacienda?
Dr. Grace: Okay naman po, madame.
Busy busy busy
If only no one was looking... Gotta get me one of those teal colored fabrics.
The models, on the other hand, remained calm and very professional all through out the shoot. I didn't hear a single complain out of them, except for maybe, wanting to take a seat after 20 minutes of standing position in 5 inch heels. They divinely wore beautiful pieces with that of black velvety gowns, chiffon white lace cocktail dresses, Moroccan-inspired jumpsuits, and boho chic long dresses. I particularly like the laced cocktail dress because it looks very Victiorian/Elizabethan era. It makes me think of my idol, Madame de Pompadour of Versailles. Lol.
In between takes.
Still in character.
Anyway, the army of photographers were composed of KLiK Camera Club and Pakilawaran Photography Club. Though I feel, they out numbered us 5:1. Even so, a large scale shoot like this has its ups and downs. With this many photographers gathered around a single model, it is hard for one to take a photo because you have to consider your limits like distance (better bring a wide and zoom lens), height (I'm quite average height, so I usually crouch down, or tiptoe to get a better picture), frame space (you can't help if you get like a shoe on one side of the photo, or the model is looking elsewhere because you have to compete with the 29 more for the attention) and personal space/work area (because an inch away or above the subject differs, also if there is someone behind you). There are a lot of factors to consider but maybe I just felt like a fish out of water in this big group because of joining in the first time and due to my own production set-up. (I feel like I'm a hermit photographer for god-sakes). But even so, what's great about with a big group is that, you get to play around the limits, like maximize what you know and have, you get to learn from others, exchange technical talks and whatnot and lastly, you are finally able to crack the photographer's joke you've been wanting to tell because they know what you are talking about. It's a sure fire way to do some basic networking for next shoots or learn where to score the next best gadget. 

Oh, and our beloved church, St. Peter of Alcantara Church/ Nuestra de los Dolores de Turumba Shrine, became a very flexible venue for the pegs of the photo shoot. One minute it's like we are in Spain's little known plazas with arch windows, red bricked walls and cascading red roofs and the next we are in a Binukot house of worship of the Sea Gypsies. The light creeping in from the stained glass window during a sunny afternoon sends of a very aged romantic soul to the Church overlooking the town poblacion for hundreds of years.

Work it, work it.
Snap, Shoot, Click.
No rest for the Photographers
Gathering around the camera that took the group shot.
Overall, it was a tiring event. I crouched, knelt, lied, tip-toed and did all sorts of contortions with my body just to get the shot. But so did the rest of the photographers who were just as extremely brilliant and talented bunch. I hope to be able to join their future shoots too. And after all the shooting, it all comes down to the end result - editing and post-processing, which would enhance and develop our style even more. 

Photo by: Michael Angelo Fernandez/Klik Camera Club
Hope to work with you guys again~!
I do hope Dr. Dang-Aoen would be pleased with the outcome of our photos. I did have a blast and a couple of bruises, but it's nothing, all for the sake of art. (Well, sort of.) Photos to follow.


No comments:

Post a Comment