Thursday, September 27, 2012

Battalia Royale Survival Guide


Notice: I shouldn't be posting about Battalia Royale in any way at all. Because I'm afraid I'll be breaking a few of the Underground World's rules or something. I'm into preserving the cult status but on the other hand, it's nice to see people appreciate this kind of live action role playing game. And so, I'll keep this entry very vague but quite useful for others who would want to witness killing other people. And so... We RUN.
My Fanart tribute to Sebastian Kiriyam played by Sir Kevin Martin

I just got to know Battalia Royale from a friend. I got invited and I have no idea on what to expect on this Interactive Play they are raving about. I have denied myself all the spoilers and news about it. In short, I'm very clueless onto what will the curtain offer.

Let's back track a bit: I remember watching Battle Royale, an epic cult film classic from Japan where the story revolves around a class of students kidnapped to be taken in an isolated island and are forced to kill each other for 3 days until there is only one left standing, back in 2007. I have long been a fan of watching Japanese films and this movie sticks with you arbitrarily.

And so being a fan of the film, my friends and I agreed to wear a school-ish outfit to feel that we belong to the scene. BAD IDEA.  At the end of the play, my little black doll shoes was split in half from all the running, my skirt was quite damp from all the crouch sitting position and the rain and I got blood splatters all over my well-made up face.

It wasn't the usual play you see on theaters. First off,  the venue is the whole backyard of Museo Pambata which is quite ironic considering the loosely based premise of the play from the movie. There are no seats. As an audience you literally have to run and you are part of the play.

The experience was quite exhilirating. I've got mixed emotions on seeing other people kill each other and us, the audience, being herd around by Marshalls with flashlights and fake gunshots. Not to mention my very straight upbringing made wince on some parts that are taboo on other people's eyes. I can't tell you how different the play is and how it is chaordically presented. I'm a very techie person. I look on how things are made. But in this case I overlooked it all because I feel I'm really part of the play and you are just captivated by how alien things are in terms of content, technicalities and production especially when you are such a fan that living it for real is whoa.

I guess you just have to sign up and experience it first hand which is also quite a challenge because they have a very different ticketing system. Remember this one is underground. You are warned.

Photo Credit from Battalia Royale/Sipat Lawin Facebook Page.

My entry won't do the first hand experience justice.

And as to abide by artist rules, I support independent artists such as this independent theater. Audience aren't supposed to take any pictures during the event because it is still a play after all. Hence, the lack of photos on this very entry. You don't go to theaters and click away. It's theater ethics. Duh!

But after experiencing the play first hand, I need to post it on my blog somehow. And so I came up with a rather weird idea of posting a Survival Guide for Battalia Royale from my own experience. I wouldn't want someone leaving the venue with one shoe torn in half like me. So here it goes, The Battalia Royale Survival Guide.

  1. WEAR RUBBER SHOES. Why? There will be A LOT of running and your feet will be very much grateful because it will survive 3 hours worth of ache. (Remember I went there thinking I'm part of the game right? So I was in cosplay mode, school girl top and skirt, with knee high socks, doll shoes and a clunky handbag - REALLY BAD IDEA)
  2. KEEP YOUR BAG SMALL. I carried a clunky bag that night which drags my running. It flops itself around me as I take a sit or stand up. I wish there was a baggage counter somewhere so I could leave my things, but of course, it will be at my own expense. You wouldn't be able to do much while you are inside anyway. You'll be herded.
  3. WEAR PANTS. I was in a god-damn mini skirt. I can't crouch down when I needed to view the characters closer. I can't sit comfortably and it was just a complete bad idea to wear a skirt on this play.
  4. HYDRATE YOURSELVES. As I said, you will run a marathon - some what. So you will need water. Seriously, we were so parched afterwards and looks like we've been through hell and back.  I'm already saving you from this foreseen event.
  5. PACK A PACK. You can include cigarettes and lighters to that small bag of yours. You can take a yosi break in the venue. They are cool with it, even Marshalls smoke their stress off.
  6. NO BLINGY. You wouldn't want scratching someone with that huge ring of yours or losing your favorite piece of jewelry over the stampede. So, keep it low key. You are an audience, not the star.
  7. DON'T BE SUCH A HECKLER. I hate hecklers as much as I hate spoilers. They are self proclaimed Kill joys and are no fun. There are a few during our batch who seem to be worth killing as well as the characters. Jeez, these people doesn't realize hard work.
  8. BRING A FOLDABLE UMBRELLA. Bring this along with your small bag. The venue will be the whole backyard of Museo Pambata, no roof over your heads when it starts raining. That, or a trusty RAINCOAT.
  9. BRING MONEY. Aside from paying your fees if you are a walk in, there are also a lot of Battalia Worthy items that are work keeping. Like the survival kit which contains a random class card (the character that you want/don't want to follow), a flashlight, a glowstick, a map anda Battalia Royale insignia bandana for only 100Php. There are also raincoats there for sale just in case you skipped Rule #8 and some cool art pieces. And also, you will be so hungry after 3 hours, you'll just car pool to somewhere open to eat.
  10. BRING A HANKY. There will be killings. So there will be blood. That means some mother will be angry about your stained clothes. Prepare a Hanky to wash off sweat, blood, saliva or other human exhaust.
  11. BRING A FRIEND. Seriously, half of my experience is enjoying the horror with a friend. We stick together through all the running, and more running. And let's support independent theaters, spread the word.
  12. BRING AN OPEN MIND. There will be people who will be not so cool with what they'll see. Majority of them gets eliminated already when they haven't watched Battle Royale. The rest will be just be happy to  look underneath girls' skirts. Jeez.
  13. BRING THE EXPERIENCE HOME. Tell your friends about it. Go again next screening. It will be always a different experience I'm telling you.

So yeah, I think that sums up all my frustrations. But those frustrations only added more fun to my Battalia Royale experience. Seriously, I got blood splattered all over my face because we got good erm, seats. And I was drenched from the rain, but it made all the scenes quite dramatic and daring.

But at the end of the day, you question yourselves about the morality of it all. It's one of the message that BR is trying to tell us. If given the choice, would you stop the play or not?

To experience the thrill of killing people, please check out their facebook page here. And their ticketing system here. And here's a SPOILER alert for the stubborn ones on what Battalia Royale is all about. Spoiler here.

No comments:

Post a Comment