Saturday, October 6, 2012

Cosmania 2012


After being MIA in the Cosplay community for so long, I've finally been able to attend COSMANIA 2012 last September 29 *clap clap clap* Moreover, I was able to drag (yes, drag) my twin brother, D, with me.

September is just awesome and ending it with Cosmania is quite the icing on the cake. I get to spend the whole day introducing my twin to the world of cosplay. For him, it is a first to attend such event (I know right?!) and it is my honor and duty to explain to him how the cosplay world goes.

Cosmania here we come~!
Cosplay, just a brief background about it (according to me) is a worthwhile hobby wherein kids, teens and well, not-so-teens, spend the day dress up as their favorite fictional characters based from anime, cartoons, movies, video games etc. It is a hobby stemming from contemporary young Japanese culture wherein groups called Cosplayers found solace in a community wherein being a geek is in. It is one of the reasons why contemporary pop culture here in the Metro is so much active and growing nowadays (For example, no one will judge you even if you are 7ft in a robot costume and can't barely walk) For me, it is this wonderful place of absolute oddity, it is as if you stumbled down the rabbit's hole and everyone suddenly wears 5 inch heels, pink wigs and out of this world clothes. It is just truly a remarkable place to exercise your interest especially in the world of anime, cartoons and video games. It continues to be an active community in the Philippine scene and has been recognized a lot of times by the media on the current interests of young Filipinos.

I dunno what he is cosplaying but I'm calling him my little prince~!
Just a quick background, I started in the Cosplay community way back 2009. After a few failed cosplay trials, I decided to stop and just enjoy the event as a congoer and the rest as they say is history. I just prefer to go without bulky bags and enjoy the effortlessness of not being able to worry about my wig, my make-up or my skirt going up to my neck. Lol. For some reason, I always make it a point to go to conventions every 2 months or so. I let the kid in me out once in a while for me to remember the simple good ol days - the fond memories these characters inspire us to do - to become a HERO.

Anyhoo, it is D's first time to go to such an event and it is just a great timing that he gets to go to Cosmania because it is one of those really big cosplay events every year. He is quite the anime fan and a certified Naruto addict. And I'm so happy to accompany him on this first cosplay convention of his.

It was an impressive scale for this year's event as 3 Halls were booked in SMX's 2nd floor. One is for the area where cosplayers can get comfortably dressed. I think this is one of those great ideas by the organizers because cosplayers sometimes hog the comfort rooms for a long time - taking time to perfect their make ups, suits and props. This is really a big check in terms of logistics and production concerns rather than having people bang on the toilet doors and complaining that their bladder would suddenly burst because of those cosplayers taking time to perfect their character. Another good call is the baggage counter on that same hall. Because if you have loads of stuff to wear, you got triple the baggage and thus making it hard for the cosplayers to move around or having friends bring all the stuff so that their friends can cosplay, which is also not good because they can't simultaneously enjoy the event with that set up. This specific area is also a venue for congoers, like me, to ask a cosplayer if they can have their picture taken with them. Most of them would say Yes, I said to my twin, because they went there and dress up for attention. I should know, because I'm already happy even if just one person approach me to have my picture taken. lol. There's also a mini Cosplay photo exhibit in that area. But that specific hall is actually a place for the ticketing booth to have proper lines and easy entrance access to the main venues. Obviously the place is quite filled, and the ticket booth was never really out of congoers to service. But the long wait is always diverted whenever new cosplayers come in and photographers ran to take those shots.
The escalator of Wonder. Everything will be topsy turvy after this ride~!
This is the new cosplay era~!
The long line at the ticket booth~! Ugh~!
Guess who I met, COSMO from The Fairy Odd Parents~!
I get to hog Tobi~! Don't worry Tobi is a good boy~!
Hmm. I think D developed a liking to Tobi cosplayers~!  This Tobi likes him though~!
D posed with Super Saiiyan Naruto~! Lol.
Hey! I also get to meet some Adventure Time friends~! It is gender bent Marceline aka Marshall Lee with little Ball Jointed Marshall Lee doll. 
Posing alongside Princess Bubblegum and Marceline. The Ice King would be so jealous~!
By far, he was the best Finn the Human in the event~! :D
Hello there gender-bent Finn~! FIONA TIME~! Where is Cake?
Forgive me but: ALADEEN MOTHERFUCKER~!
(Sorry, there is no best caption to describe this photo)
 
Then you got the Merchandiser's Hall which is an area filled with rows and rows of booths selling all kinds of geek loves like Finn the Human Hat, to Tortillas free give away booth, to Gundam assembly area, to Jpop and Jrock official merch booth, to a mini stage and all kinds of booths that you can imagine. One rule, I told my twin, BRING MONEY. You gotta have money. It's like the ultimate rule for a congoer. Because you will definitely spazz out and break your piggy bank with all the rare items they sell there. I happen to acquire the spikes headband that I really love, a Finn the Human hat for my cousin and a little ear trinket. I think that's all I bought that day. It's also enough for me to see D looking 'lost' that day for the overwhelming activity that is going on around him. I remember my first time to attend a con. I end up walking home, well, barely having any money, as it is for the spazz-a-thon. D and I happen to pass by a booth and won a prize of a Dorry Wanted Poster from One Piece from answering trans-jobs from Ragnarok Online. Also, it was funny that a group of guys weren't able to name 2 Japanese boy bands for that same prize. Lol. Being the cool mum that she is, my mum accompanied us to the event. She was happy to show D around as well. She has been to a lot of cons (I know right?) that I dragged her into. She also got into an impulse buying mode and bought me a 4 palette NYX eyebrow make up and a pink watch. :D Hehe. Lucky! (Sometimes, you gotta bring your parents around because parents love getting to know what their children are into. So give them a chance to be hip and cool, they are trying their best to fit in to your world *wink*)
I bought my twin the Naruto head gear he always wanted. Dream come true!
I love SD Gundams. 
Pens? No.
Original Paint Marker Customizers for Gundam Action Figures? Defo.
Ezio. Nuff said.
We won a Dorry Wanted Poster for answering Ragnarok trans-job question. :D Good Job.
Don't mind how awesome we are.
Kindly shift your attention to my awesome headband.
Lookee~! Derek Ramsay Cosplayer~!
Just Kidding!
Then there's the Performance Hall, wherein, we weren't able to go because our ticket is just for the Merchandiser Hall only. But I know it's a venue for the guest International Cosplayers like Kaname and Reika to judge Filipino cosplayers together with Filipino cosplayer Jin Joson. My twin and I wanted to go, but I think Hall 2 is almost enough to explain the gist on what cosplay is all about.

We stormed out off SMX by 5 o'clock as we wanted to watch a certain underground theater performance known to many as Battalia Royale 3.0. I heard that it was their last performance this weekend. It will be my 2nd time to watch it, as one of the reason why D wanted to watch it for himself. And he wanted to try if we could avail tickets. And so we hopped on a taxi and went straight to Museo Pambata.

After getting out tickets, (you can avail their tickets here.) we hang out at the Starbucks across the street (the one across Yellow Cab) and waited for the event to start in 2 hours. D just can't wait to experience the blood and gore that I've told him.

And we run...
Waiting...
Waiting...
Sorta getting bored. Decides to draw on Starbuck's fogged floor length glass window.
He simply cannot take the boredom.
Our special guest: Naruto fog drawing~! Did I mention he is addicted to Naruto?
The play ran for almost 3 hours and we were wet, cold and tired from all the running and awesome experience only Battalia Royale is able to offer. We again stormed out of the venue, hailed a taxi and shot straight to Mcdo. We are so hungry. We forgot that the last trip bounded for Laguna was at 11pm. It's already 11:45. And so we have no choice but to wait for the first ride to Laguna by 4am.

Make up~! One way to kill boredom.
And then we simply made it as a water color.
Mum luckily brought blank pieces of paper.
Our temporary art materials.
(Yes, I still use them)
If ever this gets auctioned, it'll be expensive. Hello? Shiseido eye-shadow?
Boredom buster.
He now officially loves my make up kit.
Tadaa~!
For the record, he's the one who used the Shiseido brand most of the time.
Seriously, we did those in just 30 minutes. 4 hours to go to kill time.
And we decided to divert our boredom to something less counter productive.
We've got an awesome jam-pack day from our quick trip to Manila and it was all worth it. I feel I get the chance to tell D that "Hey, it's okay to be a kid once in a while. Believing that you can do anything and there are infinite possibilities." He told me that he wants to attend another event. Of course I wouldn't let him down. Next stop, KOMIKON this coming October 27. Get your wallets ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment