Friday, January 10, 2014

Introductory Post: The Book Challenge

Introductory post for this new feature of my blog:
I have always been a book hoarder, up to a point where I just buy books when stopping at a bookshop. Heck, I don't even have to go to a bookshop, people give me some of their books for disposal, to which I happily adapt and let it pile up amongst the other books that I have bought recently and those that cobwebbed away.

It was almost 2 years ago that my friend challenged herself to read 50 books a year. I thought that was a terrific idea. I told myself I'd follow that in the days to come. But, to my, dismay, work got in the way, getting fired mostly so, and depression. Hence, the pile up reading materials on my bedside, no, desk-side library. I look at my pile of books like an ex-boyfriend - very awkwardly and sometimes, with regret that I haven't get to brush its spine, pages or cover. And so...

This year, I will turn a new leaf, no puns intended, and I would start reconciling with my books. I plan to read and take up the challenge of one book per week. That isn't a hefty load but to someone with an overbearing imagination and that is also easily distracted. It can be quite tricky. Moreover, my speed on reading isn't about words per minute. It varies on the content of the writer gives. So I cannot gauge my own ability to browse through a book without fully comprehending it.

Enough with the introduction, I say, let's have the books.

No comments:

Post a Comment